Re: 8250 serial console fixes -- issue

On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:05 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:

On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Kumar Gala wrote:

On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:47 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

On Mer, 2006-02-01 at 19:21 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
This patch introduces an issue for me an embedded PowerPC SoC using the
8250 driver.

The simple description of my issue is this: I'm using the serial port for both a terminal and console. I run fdisk on a /dev/hda. Before this patch I would get the prompt for fdisk immediately. After this patch I
have to hit return before the prompt is displayed.

I know that's not a lot of info, but just let me know what else you need
to help debug this.

I'm guessing something about the UARTs on the PowerPC maybe bit a little
non-standard.

I wonder if I've swapped one race for another. Can you revert just the line which forces THRI on and test with the rest of the change please.

This doesn't seem to help.

I realized a bit later that the kernel I build with your suggested change wasn't the one I was testing. After loading the proper kernel this does make the issue I was seeing go away.

After some further testing with this change, the majority of issues I was seeing go away. However, able to lock the console up. If I revert the wait_for_xmitr() to always use BOTH_EMPTY the lock up goes away. (Obviously, this is effectively reverting the whole patch).

- kumar