Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

Hi Jörg,

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 13:51, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Well ... from your sayings it seems Linux is supported by HAL but not by
> > libscg.
>
> Libscg is _the_ HAL for cdrecord. It is availaible the same way as today since
> 10 years.

I understand your point, but believe me, *nobody* wants one HAL per
application. There need to be only one HAL for all, and as freedesktop's
HAL has the functionnality necessary for cdrecord (minus perhaps a few
fixable bugs), but libscg is SCSI-only (and for the matter, can't work
with Linux IDE devices), cdrecord would better move to HAL for its CD
writer discovery.

Of course, the perfect outcome of this would be you turning cdrecord
into a shared library which could be used by apps as they see fit, using
their own means of selecting a CD writer and reporting errors and
completion.

Regards,
	Xav