Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:57:31PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Clause 9 is clear and is part of the GPL v2. The GPL v2 text gives
> people (including you) that right itself if no version is specified in
> the program. You and the other authors granted that right if you didn't
> include a statement about version. Now as it happens various
> contributors specified versions long ago and you clarified it too.

Alan, Linus,

I have indicated my wish to have my code GPL-2 only in 2000. Linus,
declined to change the files. My intention has been for the
past 5 and a half years to have my code GPL-2  only, only the
files don't reflect that change yet.

REW wrote on Fri, 8 Sep 2000 23:17:09 +0200 (MEST):
> Linus,

> I  trust YOU on this. Could you change

>  *      modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
>  *      published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
>  *      the License, or (at your option) any later version.

> into

>  *      modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>  *      version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.

> for all the files that I own copyright on?

Linus answered on: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 09:29:01 +0200 (MEST)
> Thanks. For the moment, I'd rather like to not do any extra changes, and
> see what the reaction from the FSF and other people is - let's not hurry
> into this any faster than we have to. I wanted to make a public statement
> because I thought it needed to be done, but at the same time I do not want
> to make a rift between Linux and the FSF bigger than necessary.
>
> So let this lie for a while, and see what happens, ok?

	Roger.

--
** [email protected] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
Q: It doesn't work. A: Look buddy, doesn't work is an ambiguous statement.