Make my own modules for kernel 2.4.32

Hi all,
I'm a newbye to kernel 'modding' and I've a question that may seems
outdated... The situation is this:
I worked to get a Set Top Box to work with the latest stable 2.4
kernel, the way is clear but the box need some modules to be loaded at
boot in order to get the video and audio device to work (modules that
are not shipped in kernels 2.4...); now I'm building those modules
separatly, compiling directly the drivers source codes with 'make',
and then I insert the .o with 'insmod'.
I would create a better system in which one could compile those
modules directly on the 'make menuconfig' of the kernel, so I'm
modifying the various Makefiles && config files, but I'm a bit
confused... Any good hint?

Thanks in advance...!