Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2 [ was: Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) ]

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> I am only asking for a unique name space for all devices that talk SCSI.
>
> And please: read the SCSI Standard on t10.org to learn that ATA is just
> one of many possible SCSI transports.

why do you need it? if you were fine with all cd bunners and dvd burners,
you could use /dev/{cdrw,dvdrw}*. if you also want the dvd device and cd
devices, have a look at /dev/cdrom* and /dev/dvd*. note: you need
to sort out duplicates yourself, for example my laptop has one dvd writer
and thus it shows up as cdrom, cdrw, dvd and dvdrw.

the obvious answer to your question would be: there is none.
as far as I understand the kernel developers, the real answer is:
you application should not need that.

Regards, Andreas