Re: PROBLEM: kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:486 - kernel 2.6.15-r1

On Saturday 28 January 2006 03:20, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
> I started getting hard lockups on my desktop PC with the error "kernel
> BUG at mm/rmap.c:487" starting with kernel 2.6.13 and continuing through
> 2.6.14.  After switching to 2.6.15 the lockups have continued with the
> message "kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:486".
>
> The frequency and circumstance are completely random which originally
> had me suspecting bad memory but after running Memtest86+ for over 12
> hours without error I'm at a loss.
>
> I'm running the binary Nvidia driver so I'll understand if I can't get
> help here but in searching through the list archives it would seem I'm
> not alone and I am willing to try any patches that may help diagnose the
> issue.  The crash happens at least daily and I've seen no difference in
> running kernels with or without PREEMPT enabled.
>
> The machine is a P4 3.00GHz with 2048MB PC3200 Unbuffered RAM on an ASUS
> motherboard with an ICH5 chipset.  XFX GF 6600GT video card, 600W power
> supply and plenty of cooling.

Ken,

Just to let you know, I've had the same problem on x86-64. It's an incredibly
rare fault here and I've not been able to reproduce it. However, I cannot
help but notice that all of the reporters so far have been running the binary
NVIDIA driver, including myself.

I would not be surprised if running without the NVIDIA driver eliminated the
problem.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.