Re: [SCHED] wrong priority calc - SIMPLE test case

Con Kolivas wrote:
On Saturday 28 January 2006 07:06, MIke Galbraith wrote:

What do you think of the below as an evaluation patch?  It leaves the
bits I'd really like to change (INTERACTIVE_SLEEP() for one), so it can
be switched on and off for easy comparison and regression testing.

I really didn't want to add more to the task struct, but after trying
different things, a timeout was the most effective means of keeping the
nice burst aspect of the interactivity logic but still make sure that a
burst doesn't turn into starvation.

The workings are dirt simple just as before.  The goal is to keep
sleep_avg and slice_avg balanced.  When an imbalance starts, immediately
cut off interactive bonus points.  If the imbalance doesn't correct
itself through normal sleep_avg usage, we'll soon hit the (1 dynamic
prio) trigger point, which starts a countdown toward active
intervention.  The default setting is that a task can run at higher
dynamic priority than it's cpu usage can justify for 5 seconds.  After
than, we start trying to work off the deficit, and if we don't succeeded
within another second (ie it was a big deficit), we demote the offender
to the rank his cpu usage indicates.

The strategy works well enough to take the wind out of irman2's sails,
and interactive tasks can still do a nice reasonable burst of activity
without being evicted.  Down side to starvation control is that X is
sometimes a serious cpu user, and _can_ end up in the expired array (not
nice under load).  I personally don't think that's a show stopper
though... all you have to do is tell the scheduler that what it already
noticed, that X is a piggy, but an OK piggy by renicing it. It becomes
immune from active throttling, and all is well.  I know that's not going
to be popular, but you just can't let X have free rein without leaving
the barn door wide open.  (maybe that switch should stay since the
majority of boxen are workstations, and default to off?).

Sounds good but I have to disagree on the X renice thing. It's not that I have a religious objection to renicing things. The problem is that our mainline scheduler determines latency also by nice level. This means that if you -renice a bursty cpu hog like X, then audio applications will fail unless they too are reniced. Try it on your patch.

On the other hand, if X were reniced it would be possible to make the interactive bonus mechanism more strict on what it considers to be interactive. As I see it the main reason that non interactive sleeps get any consideration at all in determining whether a task is interactive is to make sure that X is classified interactive.

One of the things that I've noticed about the X server (with instrumented systems) is the its proportion of interruptible sleeps to total sleeps goes down when it becomes CPU intensive. This is because the high CPU usage is usually related to screen updates (e.g. try "ls -R /" in an xterm or similar) and not keyboard or mouse input. This means that during these periods the X server would lose most of its interactive bonus and just rely on its niceness allowing genuine interactive tasks to pip it (provided that X's nice value is sufficiently small e.g. 5).

Of course, for this to work all of the instances where interruptible sleeps aren't interactive would need to be labelled TASK_NONINTERACTIVE which would be a big job.

Anyway just my 2c worth.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce