Re: Suspend to RAM: help with whitelist wanted

Hi!

> > On www.sf.net/projects/suspend , there's s2ram.c program for
> > suspending machines. It contains whitelist of known machines, along
> > with methods to get their video working (similar to
> > Doc*/power/video.txt). Unfortunately, video.txt does not allow me to
> > fill in whitelist automatically, so I need your help.
> >
> > I do not yet have solution for machines that need vbetool; fortunately
> > my machines do not need that :-), and it is pretty complex (includes
> > x86 emulator).
>
> What about adding something like:
>
> void s2ram_restore(void) {
>         if (needed)
>                 fork_and_exec(vbetool);
> }
>
> machine_table could set a global flag or something. It would be
> possibile to us an array to carry the informations about what need to be
> done on restore, i.e. something like:

I can imagine fork_and_exec... Disadvantages are:

* if disk driver is toast, user does not see anything

* vbetool can be missing from the system, or wrong version, or
something like that.

Other solution is to just integrate vbetool into s2ram. Advantages
are:

* s2ram is nicely integrated.

Disadvantages are:

* code duplication.

If vbetool's primary purpose is to fix video after suspend/resume,
then perhaps right thing to do is to integrate it into s2ram and
maintain it there.

Matthew, what do you think?

Luca, would you cook quick&hacky fork-and-exec patch? I do not have
machine that needs vbetool...
							Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!