Re: libata errors in 2.6.15.1 ICH6 AHCI (SATA drive WD740GD)

On Thursday 26 January 2006 23:07, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am reiterating this, while trying to diagnose the problem.
> It is a DIY box with Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe motherboard with Marvel 88E8053 GB
> ethernet (for info see [1]) and WD740GD (10k RPM) harddisk.

Funny. I've been having problems at least since 2.6.13 (perhaps before; my
memory is broken) with my Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe and 4 WD drives. I've seen DMA
timeouts on my serial console, followed by an immediate kernel freeze in
which Magic SysRQ doesn't even respond.

I have yet to experience the freezing behavior on 2.6.15 (though I think I may
have seen errors in dmesg at one point), but then again, I've been a victim
of a slab leak which means I haven't maintained much of an uptime under
2.6.15.

I'm working on debugging the slab leak at the moment... unfortunately, I don't
know enough about SATA to really debug this issue. Bisecting would take
forever because it usually takes several days before I ever experience a
random freeze.

Nevertheless, if anyone has any pointers, I'd really like to start to wring
some of these bugs out of my kernel.

> Kalin.

Cheers,
Chase