Re: [RFT] sky2: pci express error fix

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:11:20 +0900
> Kalin KOZHUHAROV <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>> For all those people suffering with pci express errors
>>> on the sky2 driver.  The problem is the PCI subsystem sometimes
>>> won't let the sky2 driver write to PCI express registers. It depends
>>> on the phase of the moon (actually ACPI) and number of devices.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this should fix it. Please tell me if it solves it for you.
>> Can you describe the bug a bit more? What happens?
>>
>> I had a few times something like this:
>>
>> [   24.145040] sky2 eth0: phy interrupt status 0x1c40 0xbc0c
>
>> [ 3647.341757] sky2 eth0: phy interrupt status 0x1c40 0xbc4c
>>

> Looks like a noisy crappy cable causing PHY link status changes.

I will check that particular cable on monday, but it *should* be CAT6 not
very cheap cable (Japanese brand: Elecom). In the worst case it is a CAT5e
from probably the same brand. (just because there are no other cables in the
office)

Can these errors be caused by bad hub?
>From what I've seen the network on this machine dies at the same time (not
sure before or after) as the error in dmesg.

>> after which all network was dead. (and it wasn't a module so had to
>> restart). As you can see from the above two logs, sometimes it failed on
>> boot, sometimes after an hour. Sourry, I didn't remember the phase of the
>> moon, but I can check :-)
>>
>> I have two Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe boards, with these chips. One of them is
>> happily working with sk98lin (the binary one), the other is dying miserably,
>> so now I use r8169 card to be able to isolate the problem (separate mail).
Forgot to post it, now it went under the subject:
	libata errors in 2.6.15.1 ICH6 AHCI (SATA drive WD740GD)

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+