Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Jan 26, 2006, at 19:19, Albert Cahalan wrote:
I may just be crazy enough to fork this project. I very nearly did about 18 months ago. I can't very well do this alone, because I don't have all the hardware

I will gladly test your fork on my various hardware here. I have a desktop with Apple CD/RW+DVDROM and generic DVD+/-RW DL drive, and a laptop with Apple DVD+/-RW drive. Just send or post patches somewhere and I'll take a look. I suggest starting by looking at some of the various distro patches, IIRC some of them have already make significant cleanups.

Matthias, can you give me a hand with this? I'll need a way to sort and publish incoming patches, letting them sit for a while. (like what Andrew Morton does for the kernel) This can't work like procps because the hardware varies too much.

Might I suggest quilt or stgit? Both allow you to maintain an unstable and highly variable stack of patches based off a more stable branch, from which some patches percolate down into stable occasionally.

Good luck with this!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible
  -- Alan Kay