Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

>You just want the device naming to reflect that. The user should not
>need to use /dev/hda, but /dev/cdrecorder or whatever. A real user would
>likely be using k3b or something graphical though, and just click on his
>Hitachi/Plextor/whatever burner. Perhaps some fancy udev rules could
>help do this dynamically even.

And if you have multiple cdwriters? Then (cf. other posts) one has
/dev/cdrecorder0 /dev/cdrecrder1, etc. To me, that's just as bad as having
/dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1, because you don't have a clue at first sight what it
maps to.

"ls -l"? Sure, if cdrecorder0 was a symlink, but it does not work when it's
not (= a block device in essence then).
And I'm sure there's an analog program to "ls" to find what sg0 maps to.

>If you are using cdrecord on the command line, you are by definition an
>advanced user and know how to find out where that writer is.

And GUIs could use arbitrary names like S:I:L. Ugly, but as long as it
works... sigh.

Jan Engelhardt