Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

Tomasz Torcz <[email protected]> wrote:

>   This is a fallback if HAL isn't available.  Normally this is done by:
>
> drive->max_speed_write = libhal_device_get_property_int
>                                 (ctx, device_names [i],
>                                  "storage.cdrom.write_speed",
>                                  NULL)
>                                 / CD_ROM_SPEED;
>
>  (natilus-burn-drive.c:1368 from version 2.12.0).

Even if this works under good conditions, it will fail in many cases
because the related software is not up to date with recent device formware bugs.
Cdrecord is kept up to date as it either deals with a new drive or not.

Delegating things to other instances only works ar long as there are clean ans
stable interfaces. This unfortunately does not apply to CD/DVD/HD-DVD.

> > Cdrecord implements workarounds for this kind of problems and for this reason,
> > the most portable solution for a GUI is to use cdrecord to retrieve the
> > information.
>
>   Yeah, sure.
>                   /* FIXME we don't have any way to guess the real device
>                    * from the info we get from CDRecord */
>
>  (the only FIXME in above mentioned file).

And guess why Sun is currently working on a work around this nautilus problem.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[email protected] (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       [email protected]                (uni)