Re: [RFC] VM: I have a dream...

Lee Revell wrote:
> > Mozilla / Firefox / Opera in particular.  300MB is not funny on a
> > laptop which cannot be expanded beyond 192MB.  Are there any usable
> > graphical _small_ web browsers around?  Usable meaning actually works
> > on real web sites with fancy features.
>
> "Small" and "fancy features" are not compatible.
>
> That's the problem with the term "usable" - to developers it means
> "supports the basic core functionality of a web browser" while to users
> it means "supports every bell and whistle that I get on Windows".

As both a developer and user, all I want is a web browser that works
with the sites I visit, and performs reasonably well on my laptop.

I know there are fast algorithms for layout, for running scripts and
updating trees, and the memory usage doesn't have to be anywhere near
as much as it is.

So it's reasonable to ask if anyone has written a fast browser that
works with current popular sites in fits in under 256MB after a few
days use.

Unfortunately, the response seems to be no, nobody has.  I guess it's
a big job and there isn't the interest and resourcing to do it.

-- Jamie