Re: EHCI + APIC errors = no usb goodness

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:22:20AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2006 22:04, Greg KH wrote:
> > I've had a laptop here that has had some "issues" in the past (time
> > running double speed, XFree doesn't work, etc.)
> >
> > Now I'm down to the last problem, USB doesn't work, which is a bit of a
> > pain for me :)
> >
> > Anyway, below is the kernel log from 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 (contains the latest
> > acpi tree, which I thought might help out.)  This log is when I modprobe
> > ehci-hcd.  The interesting thing is the APIC error,
>
> That was the laptop with ATI chipset right? Most of them have routing
> troubles with the timer interrupt. I finally gave up trying to fix
> them and just switched over to using the APIC timer which is run
> by the CPU and not dependent on chipsets. Use the latest
> patch from my x86-64 queue ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/

Yes, this is the same laptop.

Turns out this was a bug in the USB EHCI bios handoff logic, a newer
patch from David fixed it.  The APIC stuff was just a false alarm, and
for now, I've just turned it off, thanks to Pete reminding me about it.

When I get this laptop converted to 64bit, I'll try out your patches.

thanks,

greg k-h