Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) (was: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?)

Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course, I think it's sensible to expect that Linux should adhere to
> standards (POSIX) as far as possible, and if any precedent
> implementations that are standards-conformant are found, I'd suggest
> that Linux adheres to their interpretation, too, to reduce the clutter
> and make applications more easily ported to Linux. We'll all benefit.

With respect to SCSI transport, it would also make sense tolook at the
implementations of various other platforms.

> LIST 1 # REQUIREMENTS
>
> R1 I'll just say we all want cdrecord, dvd recording applications and
> similar to work without setuid root flags or sudo or other excessive
> privilege escalation. (This needs to be split up into I/O access
> privileges, device enumeration, buffer allocation, real-time
> requirements such as locking buffers into memory, scheduling and so on.)

With fine grained privileges and a nice inherent user level framework, this
kind of problems should not apear inside cdrecord at all.

> LIST 2 # CURRENT STATE
>
> S1 Jörg is unhappy with /dev/hd* because he says that it is inferior to
> the sg-access via ide-scsi. (I believe the original issues were
> DMA-based, and I don't know the details.) I hope Jörg will fill in the
> operations that ide-cd (/dev/hd*) lacks. (Jörg, please don't talk about
> layer violations here).

One original issue was that ide-scsi did cause a kernel panic in case it
was used on top of PCMCIA based ATA.

The other issue is that ide-scsi does not do DMA in case DMA-size is not
a multiple of 512 while is is needed for any size % 4 == 0;
or at least size % 8 == 0

> S2 Jörg is concerned about the SCSI command filter being too
> restrictive. I'm not sure if it still applies to 2.6.16-rc and what the
> exact commands in question were. I'll let Jörg complete this list.

If this change had been announced early anough and if there was a workaround,
there would be no problem. The problem was that someone has a bad dream and
incompatibly changed the Linux kernel over night while cdrecord was in code
freeze. Later I was called unflexible because I did follow the well known
quality ensuring rules that are in effect short before a new stable/final
released is published.

> S3 Device enumeration/probing is a sore spot. Unprivileged "cdrecord
> dev=ATA: -scandisk" doesn't work, and recent discussions on the cdwrite@
> list didn't make any progress. My observation is that cdrecord stops
> probing /dev/hd* devices as soon as one yields EPERM, on the assumption
> "if I cannot access /dev/hda, I will not have sufficient privilege to
> write a CD anyways". I find this wrong, Jörg finds it correct and argues
> "if you can access /dev/hdc as unprivileged user, that's a security
> problem".

This are two problems:

-	users of cdrecord like to run cdrecord -scanbus in order to find all
	SCSI devices. This no longer works since the non-orthogonal /dev/hd*
	SCSI transport has been added.

	As Linux already implements a Generic SCSI transport interface
	(/dev/sg*) people would asume to be able to talk to _all_ SCSI devices
	using this interface. To allows this, there is a need for a
	SCSI HBA driver that sends SCSI commands via a ATA interface.

-	some people seem to set the permissions of some of the /dev/hd*
	nodes to unsafe values and then complain that the other /dev/hd*
	nodes cannot be opened.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[email protected] (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       [email protected]                (uni)