Re: Linux VFS architecture questions

On Jan 23, 2006, at 12:00, Pekka Enberg wrote:
Hi Kyle,

On 1/23/06, Kyle Moffett <[email protected]> wrote:
Great! I'm trying to learn about filesystem design and implementation, which is why I started writing my own hfsplus filesystem (otherwise I would have just used the in-kernel one). Do you have any recommended reading (either online or otherwise) for someone trying to understand the kernel's VFS and blockdev interfaces? I _think_ I understand the basics of buffer_head, super_block, and have some idea of how to use aops, but it's tough going trying to find out what functions to call to manage cached disk blocks, or under what conditions the various VFS functions are called. I'm trying to write up a "Linux Disk-Based Filesystem Developers Guide" based on what I learn, but it's remarkably sparse so far.

Did you read Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt?

Yeah, that was the first thing I looked at. Once I've got things figured out, I'll probably submit a fairly hefty patch to that file to add additional documentation.

Also, books Linux Kernel Development and Understanding the Linux Kernel have fairly good information on VFS (and related) stuff.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.
  -- Anthony de Boer