2.6.16_rc1 psmouse hangs without KVM

Hello list,

My first post to the linux-kernel mailing list - a little report on mouse hang experiences on a PS/2 mouse :-)

Since the change from 2.6.14 to 2.6.16_rc1, I got mouse hangs using a first-generation MS IntelliEye Explorer with USB->PS2 converter, no KVM, which ran smoothly on the official 2.6.14.

The syslog message is ...

  psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request

and I have the exact symptoms - hang after about 10 sec mouse inactivity, then after 2 secs it's back to normal - as described in the thread ...

  Date     Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:37:49 +0100
  Subject  Mouse stalls (again) with 2.6.15-mm2
  between Jesper Juhl and Dmitry Torokhov.
  (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/9/313)

and a statement by Dmitry was to do resync retries every few seconds for KVM users.

This certainly is a good idea for KVM users, but since Jesper and me are counter-examples to this frequent resyncing, I suggest that this is made an option in the kernel, like "KVM fixes - resync mouse in background".

I personally had to turn off resyncing using the suggested

  echo -n 0 > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/resync_time

to get back the expected fluent behavior, since without a KVM, there is no automatic resyncing required ...

Of course I stand ready for corrections or for giving more detailed info if required.

----
Ernst Rohlicek jun.