Re: SMP trouble

Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Gilles May wrote:

I don't think it has something to do with the USB card, nor the HDD oder the
DVD writer connected to it..
Just to be sure I bought a new USB card with a different chip even, hangs with
both controllers..
Besides it freezes aswell if I do the ping and IDE to IDE copies and listening
music.. Looks like high
IO loads brings it down, no matter where it comes from..
The wierd part is that it's only with Linux SMP, not with UP, and no problems
like that on WindowsXP SP2..

This starts giving me serious headaches.. ;)

Trying to isolate things here, do you need the ping/network load to trigger it? How about only network load?
Hmm good question, I'll do further tests, but from my past experiences I got the feeling that it's rather the sound that is needed to trigger the freeze, not the network load.

A few lines from dmesg puzzle me too, like:

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7. -> What is that, and why?

mtrr: your CPUs had inconsistent fixed MTRR settings
mtrr: probably your BIOS does not setup all CPUs.
mtrr: corrected configuration. -> Maybe not corrected correctly?

BIOS failed to enable PCI standards compliance, fixing this error. -> Maybe not really fixed?

Thanks for your effort,
Gilles May

PS: Am I the only one with a K7D Master-L and problems like that?