Re: [Pcihpd-discuss] Re: [patch 0/4] Hot Dock/Undock support

Hi!

> > > This series of patches is against the -mm kernel, and will enable
> > > docking station support.  It is an early patch, but still pretty
> > > functional, so I think it's worthwhile to include at this point.
> > > For some laptops, it's necessary to use the pci=assign-busses kernel
> > > parameter, because some _DCK methods will attempt to assign bus numbers
> > > to the dock bridge (incorrectly).
> >
> > On thinkpad X32: I selected
> > Recompiled, rebooted with machine out of dock. /sys/bus/pci/slots/ is
> > empty. I then inserted machine into dock, and locked it:
> >
> > root@amd:/sys/bus/pci/slots# echo dock > /proc/acpi/ibm/dock
> > root@amd:/sys/bus/pci/slots# ls
> > root@amd:/sys/bus/pci/slots#
> >
> > ...still empty. What am I doing wrong?
>
> You may not use the ibm_acpi driver at the same time as the acpiphp
> driver for docking.  This is because the ibm_acpi driver also tries to
> handle the dock event notification, and doesn't actually do any
> hotplugging of the devices.  So, you want to set that config option to
> N.  What you are doing above is actually writing to the ibm_acpi
> driver.

Done.

> I didn't provide a way to do undocking via software. I just use the
> button on the dock station.  You should however, see something
> in /sys/bus/pci/slots - can you scan your dmesg to make sure that the
> acpiphp driver is running?  You might run it as a module and enable
> debugging:
>
> modprobe acpiphp debug=1
>
> This way we can see if it finds your dock slot and registers the notify
> handler.

Result is:

root@amd:/data/l/linux-mm/drivers/pci/hotplug# insmod acpiphp.ko debug=1
insmod: error inserting 'acpiphp.ko': -1 No such device
root@amd:/data/l/linux-mm/drivers/pci/hotplug# dmesg | tail -3
Failure of coda_cnode_make for root: error -19
acpiphp: ACPI Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.5
acpiphp_glue: Total 0 slots
root@amd:/data/l/linux-mm/drivers/pci/hotplug#

Should I have CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI_IBM set?

								Pavel

--
Thanks, Sharp!