Synchronization between VFS and special IO requests to a block device.

  Hi,

	I have an SD card, a partition of which is mounted and is accessed
  only through VFS, and certain sectors out of this partition having
  some special data which is accessed by the applications only through
  certain ioctls to the device.

  My problem is in synchronizing/serializing these two accesses to the
  hardware, especially since I dont want a VFS request to be handled
  by the driver inbetween two specific ioctls.  I understand that the
	strategy routine should be atomic and that it cant wait on a lock or
	sleep.  Any pointers/suggestions/help?

  Mine is a 2.4 kernel with a uni-processor.

  Thanks in Advance,

  Roopesh.
  PS: Kindly mark a CC: to me if posting. Thanks.