Re: unmount oops in log_do_checkpoint

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:23:53PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:

> > >   Hmm, that's really strange, maybe we have some use-after-free
> > > problem or so... I'll see what I can do :).
> > >

> > Are you able to reproduce? If not I can test patches...
>   Hmm, I was not able to reproduce the problem even with those debug
> options set :(. As I'm looking into the code it seems that somebody
> managed to free the transaction but did not clear the
> j_checkpoint_transactions pointer. It's even stranger that it's during
> umount time when there should not be much processes playing with the JBD
> structures on that filesystem.
>   Attached is the patch that fixes two minor possible problems I've
> found. Neither of them should be causing your oops but one never knows
> :). Also turn on the JBD debugging in config. Maybe it spits something
> useful. If you still see the same oops, I'll create some debugging
> patch.

This patch does the trick. Survived several reboots now while without
the patch it has oopsed 100% of the time so far. Thanks!

I have also attached a full jbd debug output and oops for the vanilla
2.6.16-rc1 case, just in case that helps.

>   BTW: the oops during umount is after some activity on the filesystem
> or you just mount & umount?

mount,unmount doesn't seem to trigger it, nor does a bit of filesystem
activity. I haven't tracked down exactly what *does* trigger it, but
booting then rebooting does it every time.

Nick