Re: amd64 cdrom access locks system

On 6/14/05, Jeff Wiegley <jeffw <at> cyte.com> wrote:
> using "dev=/dev/hda" yeilds the exact same behavior...
> > Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
>    Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
>    Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
>    Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
>    Jun 14 03:23:30 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt

Jens, any idea?

> And I'm a little confused by Robert's suggestion... Should it
> ever be possible for a user-space application to cause lost
> interrupts and other kernel state problems regardless of what
> "interface" is used?? Sure, if the application uses the wrong
> interface it should get spanked somehow but should it be able to
> mess up the kernel for other applications as well? (Like now
> I can't read or eject.)

It shouldn't be possible unless it is "raw" interface
(requires CAP_SYS_RAWIO) w/o checking all possible
parameters (it is not always possible) or device is buggy.

Also it is quite unlikely that somebody will fix obsolete
interface (hey, it got obsoleted for some reason .

Bartlomiej

Has this problem been fixed at all or any workarounds known?  I am having the
exact same issue with similar hardware and the alim15x3 driver.  In my case it
does not matter which method I use for cdrecord (ATA:, ATAPI: or dev=/dev/hda),
I will always get the lost interrupts from the command "cdrecord -atip".  I have
tried other drives without success so I don't believe that is the problem. Interestingly cdrdao does not have any problems at all and burns perfectly, so I
suspect that cdrecord might be throwing some command that ide-cd or the IDE
drive doesn't like and fails to recover from.  However, disabling DMA on the
drive via hdparm makes cdrecord work perfectly, so I suspect the alim15x3 driver
more than anything else.  I can play DVDs for hours with DMA enabled just fine
though... go figure.  My current kernel is 2.6.14-gentoo-r6, but I have had this
problem since I first had got the system (around 2.6.12).

Exactly the same problems here, on a laptop (Amd64, Mandriva 2006, linux-2.6.15) with an:

ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c7)

The cd-writer locks up if the DMA is enabled, as above. But the drive is usable if it is disabled.

The only other potential problem I've found is that the UDMA timings for the /dev/hda is "???" (see below).

#> cat /proc/ide/ali

                                Ali M15x3 Chipset.
                                ------------------
PCI Clock: 0.
CD_ROM FIFO:No , CD_ROM DMA:Yes
FIFO Status: contains 1 Words, runs.

----------------primary channel---------secondary channel---------

channel status:       Off			Off
both channels togth:  Yes			Yes
Channel state:        busy			OK
Add. Setup Timing:    1T			1T
Command Act. Count:   3T			3T
Command Rec. Count:   1T			1T

DMA enabled:	Yes		No		Yes		No
FIFO threshold:	4 Words		4 Words		4 Words		4 Words
FIFO mode:	FIFO Off	FIFO Off	FIFO Off	FIFO Off
Dt RW act. Cnt	3T		8T		3T		8T
Dt RW rec. Cnt	1T		16T		1T		16T