Re: X killed

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
My point is that there is no way to tell what kills me. No messages in
syslog...nothing. Surely the OOM killer would send a message to ksyslog, or at
least dmesg?

Yes, OOM usually does printk(). So it depends on how you have syslog set up (and the console loglevel - which is reponsible for bringing it right to console).

Jan Engelhardt

So, I can conclude that as I am not seeing any OOM messages in dmesg, that the OOM is not responsible for my kills. Even without syslog set up, I should see the OOM in dmesg shouldn't I?

So, I have a mystery reason why X getting killed.

Can anyone else suggest any other possible causes for unexpected X getting killed?

James