Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:14:08PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Please read what I wrote again.  Station mode power save work involves
> communicating with the ap and managing the hardware.  The first
> interacts with bg scanning.  We haven't even talked about how to handle
> sta mode power save.

I think we're arguing over semantics; what's important here is that the
STA tells the AP to buffer frames while we're performing a scan,
correct?

> If you wait until the end of the scan to return to the bss channel then
> you potentially miss buffered mcast frames.  You can up the station's
> listen interval but that only gets you so far.  As I said there are
> tradeoffs in doing this.

An excellent point.  This is particularly relevant for APs that have a
DTIM interval of 1 -- if you're doing a passive scan, the dwell time on
that other channel (you need at least one beacon interval) could cause
you to miss bufferend MCAST frames.

In all fairness I don't think I've seen any implementations that handle
this cleanly.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344