Re: [?] PCI BIOS masks some IDs to prevent OS detection?

On Jan 16, 2006, at 10:53, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
Maybe the raid card has a pin shorted to ground, so all reads of that bit read as 0. That would explain why all the cards lost the same bit. It appears to be the highest bit on the bus that is stuck low.

I see this fairly frequently on our own mainboards due to a problem with the soldering of a surface mount pci bridge chip on the bottom of the board.

I've also seen this problem with a faulty case where a small metal support shorted a couple pins on the PCI riser. It gave odd PCI ids, corrupted data, and crashed within a minute of booting. After removing the metal bracket, it's been stable for almost a year.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
  -- Poul Anderson