Suspend to RAM and disk

Hi!

In good old days of Pentium MMX, when ACPI was not yet born and APM
ruled the world, I had and thinkpad 560X notebook. And that beast
supported suspend-to-both: It stored image on disk, but then suspended
to RAM, anyway. I think I want that feature back.

[Advantage was, that suspend/resume was reasonably fast for common
case, yet you did not loose your opened applications if your battery
ran flat. Speed advantage will be even greater these days -- boot of
"resume" kernel takes most of time.]

Unfortunately, suspend-to-RAM is not in quite good state these
days. It tends to work -- after you setup your video drivers according
to video.txt, with some scripting needed. Unfortunately, after we
suspended to disk, system is frozen -- we may not run scripts.

I guess the solution is to create userland application that will parse
the DMI, look into table, and if it is neccessary do the vbe
saving/restoring itself. (We may not run external binaries on frozen
system; everything has to be pagelocked.) I guess that will include
quite a lot of cut-copy-and-paste from various project, but I see no
other way :-(.

OTOH this should get us to state where suspend-to-RAM "just works", so
I guess it is worth it.
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!