Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

Am Freitag 13 Januar 2006 23:32 schrieb Johannes Berg:

> [Changing mode of virtual devices]
>
> IMHO there's not much point in allowing changes. I have a feeling that
> might create icky issues you don't want to have to tackle when the
> solution is easy by just not allowing it. Part of my thinking is that
> different virtual types have different structures associated, so
> changing it needs re-creating structures anyway. And different virtual
> device types might even be provided by different kernel modules so you
> don't carry around AP mode if you don't need it.

Even though it is a bit more work on kernel side, we should allow changing the
mode of virtual devices. Let's face it, even though we find multi-BSS
capabilities very interesting, 999 of 1000 users won't care due to the two
facts that IPW firmware IMHO doesn't allow it and virtual interfaces are
limited to one channel anyway. These users rightfully expect to have one
interface and be able to do all configurations on it.

Stefan