Re: kbuild / KERNELRELEASE not rebuild correctly anymore

Hi,

On Sunday 15 January 2006 12:19, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:41:30AM +0100, Ren? Rebe wrote:
> > > So the real fix is to error out when .kernelrelease does not exists.
> > > See attached patch.
> >
> > You expect us to run make prepare before make menuconfig or simillar?
> > That sounds a bit odd ...
>
> The kernelrelease depends on the actual configuration.
> So without having completed the make *config step kbuild cannot tell the
> correct kernelrelease.
>
> Now with the patch attached to last mail kbuild will now error out in
> case there is no valid kernelrelease. Thats obviously only a hack, since
> we need to error out when .config has been updated and the new
> kernelrelease has not been created.
>
> Maybe the better approach would be always to create the .kernelrelease
> file as part of the configuration - based on the principle of least
> suprise.

Aside this "solution" still annoys me, you need at least patch the config
stuff to not display an empty version string ;-)

I'm curious, aside rsbac, what in the .config is altering the KERNELRELEASE?

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org