Re: Dual core Athlons and unsynced TSCs

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 14:00 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:56 -0800, Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:

> > > unless we can re-sync the TSCs often enough that apps don't notice.
> > >

> > You'd have to quantify that somehow, in terms of the max drift rate
> > (ppm), and the max resolution available (< tsc frequency).
> >
> > Either that, or track an offset, and use one TSC as truth, and update
> > the correction factor for the other TSCs as often as needed, maybe?
> >
> > This is kind of analogous to the "drift" NTP calculates against a
> > free-running oscillator.
> >
> > So you'd be pushing that functionality deeper into the OS-core.
> >
> > Dave Mills had that "hardpps" stuff in there for a while, it might be a
> > starting point.
> >
> > Just some thoughts for now...
> >

> It kind of makes you wonder what in the heck AMD were thinking, whether
> they realized that this design decision would cause so many problems at
> the OS level (it's broken at least Linux and Solaris).  Maybe Windows
> keeps time in a way that was unaffected by this?

Last time I looked at Windows, we had to create an RT task to
interpolate between jiffies, b/c Windows was only keeping time at the
10 / 16 (smp) ms resolution. (to get NTP to run)

That was 6 years ago.

I haven't looked back since, and may I turn to salt or stone if I ever
do.

--
Sven-Thorsten Dietrich

Phone: 408.992.4515