Re: ide-cd turning off DMA when verifying DVD-R

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 17:40:33 NZDT +1300, Robert Hancock wrote:

> I'm thinking the IDE code is too aggressive in assuming that the failure
>  is because of a DMA problem and disabling it.. Most likely all that's
> happening is the drive is taking a long time to complete the current
> command.

Yes! Each time when inserting a faulty CD/DVD, or whenever the drive
gives read errors for whatever reason, the kernel decides to turn DMA
off and try again, fail (again) and leave DMA off. And this after having
successfully used DMA before - so it's not that the device is
DMA-incapable.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.