load average wraps at 1024

Hi,

Don't know if this is a kernel issue or userspace issue, but load
average values wrap back to 0 once they hit 1024.

I've been trying to stress 2.6.15-mm3 by putting a *lot* of load on it
and seeing if it stays alive, how it copes, how long it seems to take
to recover etc.
While doing that I've done some test runs that start thousands of
processes and the load average quickly shoots up to several hundred
and eventually reach 1000 - when it continues to climb it goes to 1023
and then wraps down to small numbers like 4-5 and then continue
climbing from there. Once I kill all my processes it slowly goes down
to zero, then wraps back to ~1000 and continues to climb down from
there until it's eventually back to normal.

Is this expected behaviour?

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html