Re: 2.6.15-$SHA1: VT <-> X sometimes odd

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:50:44PM +0800, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
> Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > Approximate sequence of event:
> >
> > 1. script which builds allmodconfig on 11 targets is left on otherwise
> >    idle machine. Logged in on VT1. Logged of X.
> > 2. After 5 hours I return, ensure script behaves OK, switch to X and see
> >    black screen.
> > 3. Now, trying to switch between VTs and X gives nothing but black
> >    screen.
> > 4. Alt+SysRq+K. After several seconds black screen switches to black
> >    screen with text cursor in the upper-left corner.
> > 5. Futher attempts to switch and SysRq+Ki'ing gave nothing.
> > 6. In a minute or so X login prompt reappeared. Mouse os OK. Keyboard is
> >    not. In particular, typing username doesn't work.
> > 7. By some miracle, typing became OK (probably after I hit Ctrl, not
> >    sure). I login to X successfully and fire up mutt to mail bugreport.
> > 8. Devil turned me to switch to VT again...
> > 9. goto #5.
> > 10. Cold reboot.
>
> Can you reproduce this with another X driver, for example, vesa or
> fbdev, and/or with another console driver? Maybe you can also try with
> DRI enabled and disabled?

OK, I'll try.

> > The overall feeling is that X left without human interaction starts to
> > reacts slooowly (probably after blanking kicks in?).
>
> That's also what I'm thinking, console blanking, X blanking, or power
> management. You might want to shorten the console blanking interval with:
>
> setterm -blank 1.

Strange freezing continues, probably blanking should be left alone:

1. while reading random patches with gitk with nothing more running. gitk
   already read all patch headers from the whole Linux git archive.

   gitk stops reacting on mouse clicks
   "Ctrl+Alt+1" (switching to virtual desktop #1 in evilwm) -- OK
   "Ctrl+Alt+2" (back) -- gitk shows its window but without actual
   content as if something can't get a timeslice for redraw.

2. Two allmodconfig builds in parallel. mutt downloading email, /me
   lazily browsing with Firefox.