Re: smp race fix between invalidate_inode_pages* and do_no_page

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:08:31PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> I'd be inclined to think a lock_page is not a big SMP scalability
> problem because the struct page's cacheline(s) will be written to
> several times in the process of refcounting anyway. Such a workload
> would also be running into tree_lock as well.

I seem to recall you wanted to make the tree_lock a readonly lock for
readers for the exact same scalability reason? do_no_page is quite a
fast path for the tree lock too. But I totally agree the unavoidable is
the atomic_inc though, good point, so it worth more to remove the
tree_lock than to remove the page lock, the tree_lock can be avoided the
atomic_inc on page->_count not.

The other bonus that makes this attractive is that then we can drop the
*whole* vm_truncate_count mess... vm_truncate_count and
inode->trunate_count exists for the only single reason that do_no_page
must not map into the pte a page that is under truncation. We can
provide the same guarantee with the page lock doing like
invalidate_inode_pages2_range (that is to check page_mapping under the
page_lock and executing unmap_mapping_range with the page lock held if
needed). That will free 4 bytes per vma (without even counting the
truncate_count on every inode out there! that could be an even larger
gain), on my system I have 9191 vmas in use, that's 36K saved of ram in
my system, and that's 36K saved on x86, on x86-64 it's 72K saved of
physical ram since it's an unsigned long after a pointer, and vma must
not be hw aligned (and infact it isn't so the saving is real). On the
indoes side it saves 4 bytes
* 1384 on my current system, on a busy nfs server it can save a lot
more. The inode also most not be hw aligned and correctly it isn't. On a
server with lot more of vmas and lot more of inodes it'll save more ram.

So if I make this change this could give me a grant for lifetime
guarantee of seccomp in the kernel that takes less than 1kbyte on a x86,
right? (on a normal desktop I'll save at minimum 30 times more than what
I cost to the kernel users ;) Just kidding of course...