Re: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 07:26:50PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> THIS is what "rebase" is for. It sounds like what you really want to do is
> not have a development branch at all, but you just want to track my tree
> and then keep track of a few branches of your own. In other words, you
> don't really have a "real" branch - you've got an odd collection of
> patches that you really want to carry around on top of _my_ branch. No?

Yes.

> Now, in this model, you're not really using git as a distributed system.
> In this model, you're using git to track somebody elses tree, and track a
> few patches on top of it, and then "git rebase" is a way to move the base
> that you're tracking your patches against forwards..

I am using the workaround of carrying the patches in a mail folder,
applying them in a batch, and not pulling from your tree between
applying a batch of patches and you pulling from my tree.

> It's also entirely possible that you may want to look at "stacked git"
> (stg), which is really more about a "quilt on top of git" approach. Which
> again, may or may not suit your needs better.

After a quick look, stg seems to be an interesting project that might
suit my needs.

I'd say the main problem is that git with several other projects like
cogito and stg on top of it allow many different workflows. But finding
the one that suits one's needs without doing something in a wrong way
is non-trivial.

It might help if someone could write some kind of "Git for dummies" that
focusses only on the usage and advantages/disadvantages of user
interfaces like cogito, stg and (H)GCT and restricts the discussion of
git internals to a short paragraph in the introduction.

> 		Linus

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.