Re: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 09:13, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Yaroslav Rastrigin <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Sure, thats easy.  You havn't paid Anton and Richard to quit
> > > their jobs to work full time on finishing full linux ntfs
> > > support.  It is really quite amazing how many "linux can't do foo"
> > > type problems could be quickly solved by sending large amounts of
> > > money to the right people.
> > Could or would you be so kind to provide at least moderately complete pricelist ? Whom and how much should I pay to have correct support for
> > intel graphics chipset, 2200BG Wi-Fi, complete suspend-to-disk/suspend-to-ram and to get an overall performance boost ?
>
> A quick grep indicates that you reported zero bugs to this mailing list in
> 2005.
>
> Please preapre quality bug reports (preferably in less-than-80-column
> emails) and direct them to the relevant maintainers and be prepared to work
> with those maintainers in the resolution of the bugs.

Andrew, I think this is a rare (on lkml at least) case when guy
does not want to participate in development in a Linux way
but wants to just pay for development instead:
"I want this <hardware> to work good under Linux. I want to pay
up to <sum> to whoever will agree to do that. Anybody?"

Do not dismiss him lightly. There are LOTS of people which aren't
hackish at all. An order of magniture more than 'us' computer geeks.
M$ is successful because it uses this resource.
We may want to think how can we use it too.

No, I don't think you, or someone else on this list can efficiently
use it, but distros, being more commercially oriented, maybe can.
--
vda