Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, René Rebe wrote:

On Monday 09 January 2006 16:10, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

I don't think so. The library can do such conversions (and alsa-lib does)
quite easy. If we have a possibility to remove the code from the kernel
space without any drawbacks, then it should be removed. I don't see any
advantage to have such conversions in the kernel.

Also, when the data is already available as single streams in a user-space
multi track application, why should it be forced interleaved, when the hardware
could handle the format just fine?
Because the conversion doesn't cost anything. Trying to avoid it by
making the API more complicated (I would even say confusing) is extreme
overkill.

Since when doesn't cost convesion anything? I'm able to count a lot of wasted
CPU cycles in there ...

if the data needed to be accessed by the CPU anyway it's free becouse otherwise the CPU would stall waiting for the next chunk of memory. you can do quite a bit of work on data in cache while you are waiting for the next cache line to load.

in this same way, checksumming a network packet is free if the CPU needs to copy the data anway, it only costs something if the data could bypass the CPU.

David Lang

 -- C.A.R. Hoare