Re: request for opinion on synaptics, adb and powerpc

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:04:52AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Saturday 07 January 2006 03:25, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> >
> > If a relative mode is an absolute must, then a kernel option is IMO
> > sufficient (we have psmouse.proto=imps for the classic PS/2 Synaptics
> > pads), although a sysfs attribute would likely be better.
> >

> Just FYI, writing into /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/protcol allows
> swicthing ptorocol dynamically (this involves teardown of old input
> device and creation of a new one).

I know, but this will not be possible if the Synaptics pad is connected
over ADB, which is the case I believe we are discussing here.

On the other hand, if it's just PS/2 over ADB, a serio driver instead of
an input driver would make more sense.

> > In theory, we could use EV_SYN, SYN_CONFIG for notifying applications
> > that the device has changed its capabilities, but a
> > disconnect/recreation will work better, since no applications support
> > the SYN_CONFIG notification ATM.
>
> I could see SYN_CONFIG being used to signal changes in limits (like min
> and max X coordinates) but not to basic device capabilities.

Yes, that's probably more sensible.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR