Re: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Len Brown wrote:

> please pull this batch of trivial patches from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux-acpi-2.6.git release

Len,

I _really_ wish you wouldn't have those automatic merges.

Why do you do them? They add nothing but ugly and unnecessary history, and
in this pull, I think almost exactly half of the commits were just these
empty merges.

There's just no point, except to make the history harder to read.

So please stop it. You have some of the ugliest history around, and it's
all just because you have some automated process that merges unnecessarily
all the time.

If you do merges because you want to _test_ the development with a merged
tree, that doesn't have to happen in the development branch itself. Nobody
else cares about such a merge except the tester (unless the test fails of
course, and you need to fix up the result - at which point it's not an
automated merge any more).

		Linus