Re: Digital Audio Extraction with ATAPI drives far from perfect

(please, don't drop me from the cc list!!)

Yay, problem solved!

On Sa, Jan 07, 2006 at 03:22:01 +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:

> You can use SG_IO on any block device that accepts "SCSI" commands in
> the end, like ide-cd. Google for the sg driver documentation and you
> will find there are various ways to submit sg commands. cdparanoia
> likely uses the old variant of opening the char device and read/writing
> commands to it, if you convert it to SG_IO it could use that transport
> always (on 2.6 kernels and newer).
>
> --
> Jens Axboe

Thanks guys for all your pointers. I googled for cdparanoia and SG_IO
and found out that someone at Red Hat already patched cdparanoia to use
SG_IO. http://people.redhat.com/pjones/cdparanoia/

If you're interested, the patches can be found in the src rpm:
http://people.redhat.com/pjones/cdparanoia/thomasvs/cdparanoia-alpha9.8-27.src.rpm

Well, I'm gonna submit an updated ebuild for Gentoo. Let's see how this
thing evolves.

Thanks again for all your help, especially Jens!

Cheers

Sebastian

P.S.: I already reripped the test disc using ide-cd and the
SG_IO-patched cdparanoia and the results are perfect. OMG, I bought Win
XP Home 2 months ago because of this (so I can use Exact Audio Copy). I
guess I can remove XP from my drive now and sell it to some wretched guy :)
Harhar.

S.
--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." (HST)