Re: BUG: spinlockup in kacpid of 2.6.15-rc6 during boot

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 10:58:19PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> I am getting an intermittent "BUG: spinlockup on CPU #0, kacpid/13,
> e3bcef9c" message when booting. I know it occurs from a cold boot, but am
> not sure about from a warm reboot.
>
> I don't know where in the boot sequence it occurs as I only have the text
> display on the screen, which is as follows:

You can set a higher resolution using the vga= boot parameter (see
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt in the kernel sources).

> ...... unknown material that rolled off the top of the screen
> _spinlock + 0x1b/0x30
> exit_io_context + 0x25/0x90
> do_exit + 0x54/0x430
> die + 0x17c/0x180
> do_page_fault + 0x209/0x62e
> error_code + 0x4f/0x54
> show_stack + 0x9c/0x0e
> show_registers + 0x18f/0x230
> die + 0xfa/0x180
> do_page_fault + 0x209/0x62e
> BUG: spinlockup on CPU #0, kacpid/13, e3bcef9c
> dump_stack + 0x1e/0x20
> __spin_lock_debug + 0xb6/0xf0
> _raw_spin_lock + 0x67/0x90
> _spinlock + 0x1b/0x30
> exit_io_context + 0x25/0x90
> do_exit + 0x54/0x430
> die + 0x17c/0x180
> do_page_fault + 0x209/0x62e
> error_code + 0x4f/0x54
> show_stack + 0x9c/0x0e
> show_registers + 0x18f/0x230
> die + 0xfa/0x180
> do_page_fault + 0x209/0x62e
>
> The computer is an HP ze1115 notebook with a mobile K7 processor. The
> beginning lines of a normal dmesg are:
>
> Linux version 2.6.15-rc6 (root@linux) (gcc version 4.0.2 20050901
> (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #4 PREEMPT

IOW, 2.6.15-rc6 does sometimes boot, and sometimes it doesn't boot?

Can you give information regarding which kernel versions are affected
and which aren't, and what influences whether 2.6.15-rc6 does boot or
does not boot?

TIA
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.