Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

Greg Louis ha scritto:
> On 20060104 (Wed) at 0850:34 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>On Mer, 2006-01-04 at 03:51 +0100, Tomasz K??oczko wrote:
>>
>>>Be compliant with OSS specyfication allow save many time on applications
>>>development level by consume (in good sense) time spend on this
>>>applications by *BSD, Solaris and other systems developers (even on not
>>>open source applications).
>>
>>Both Solaris and FreeBSD contain Linux emulation code so in that sense
>>they admitted 'defeat' long ago.
>>

>>>valuable functionalities in usable/simpler form for joe-like users ..
>>>remember: sound support in Linux isn't for data centers/big-ass-machines :)
>>
>>And distributions nowdays ship with ALSA by default, which is giving
>>users far better audio timing behaviour, mixing they want, digital and
>>analogue 5.1 outputs. OSS really isn't ideal for serious "end user"
>>applications like video playback
>>

> Ok, so I'm not serious :) just wanna do fairly standard audio things.
>
> - ALSA doesn't (AFAIK, haven't checked for a few months) support my old
>   Audiotrix sound card -- bye, machine 1
> - ALSA can't be persuaded (not by me, anyway) to drive my VIA
>   ac97_codec onboard sound hardware -- everything works fine except
>   unmuting ;) -- bye, machine 2
> - ALSA does suport my i810_audio ac97_codec laptop, but so does OSS,
>   equally well (for my unsophisticated needs) and with a far less
>   elephantine footprint in memory. -- strike 3, ALSA out.
>
> So even if sound support in Linux _is_ for "big-ass" studio work, it
> would be nice if little guys didn't get abandoned along the way, IMHO.

if you miss some drivers, you can add them (or ask for that) written in
alsa driver.

and if your chipset works with alsa as with oss that's not a good
motivation not to remove OSS.

think about audigy2 users :)

ps. i've an old ens1370 card..so that's not me

	Patrizio

--
Patrizio Bassi
www.patriziobassi.it