Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 03:05:11PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > my patch attacks the top bloaters, and gains about 30k to 40k (depending
> > > on compiler). Gaining the other 300k is going to be a LOT of churn, not
> > > just in amount of work... so to some degree my patch shows that it's a
> > > bit of a hopeless battle.
> >
> > A quick grep shows at about 10.000 inline's in .c files, and nearly
> > all of them should be removed.
> >
> > Yes this is a serious amount of work, but it's an ideal janitorial
> > task.
>
> oh, it is certainly an insane amount of janitorial work - which is also
> precisely why this well-known and seemingly trivial problem has
> escallated so much!
>
> the nontrivial thing is that the moment trivial things get widespread,
> _the mechanism_ needs a change. I.e. the 'widespread inlines' arent the
> big problem, the big problem is that the widespread inlines _got
> widespread_. I'm not sure whether i'm being clear enough: think of the
> 22,000 inlines as a symptom of a deeper problem, not as the problem
> itself. That is i am trying to get through (to you and to others).

My point goes more into the following direction:
- 10,000 inline's are in .c files
- 12,000 inline's are in .h files

The interesting one's are the latter:
- if they are too big, the smallest solution is to move them to .c files
- it might cause a size _increase_ if some version if gcc will not
  inline all of them

The latter gives warnings with -Winline, and adding this flag to the
gloval CFLAGS and analyzing all the warnings (especially with -Os) could
make my point void.

#1 should definitely be done.

And you do slightly manage to convince me that #2 is a good (additional)
approach (if -Winline gets added to the global CFLAGS).

> 	Ingo

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.