Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

Hi Matthew,

I have a few comments and a question on this patch, please.
(Yes, I know it won't be merged.)
Most of these are general patch process comments.
However, the last comment is the important one.

1.  I had problems applying it.  What tree is it against?
    Say so in the description.

2.  use diff -p (in SubmittingPatches)

3.  use diffstat

4.  Why 2 diffs against include/linux/libata.h ?
    I was hoping that diffstat would show this, but it just merges
    the 2 libata.h patches together.  'lsdiff' does show this,
    however.

5.  #includes in alpha order as much as possible.

6.  Patch had some trailing whitespace (usually tabs).
    Some tools detect this and warn about it.

7.  Most important:  What good does the ACPI interface do/add?
    What I mean is that acpi_get_child() in scsi_acpi_find_channel()
    always returns a handle value of 0, so it doesn't get us
    any closer to determining the ACPI address (_ADR) of the SATA
    devices.  The acpi_get_devices() technique in my patch (basically
    walking the ACPI namespace, looking at all "devices") is the
    only way that I know of doing this, but I would certainly
    like to find a better way.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 03:02:42 +0000
Matthew Garrett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The included patch does three things:
>
> 1) It adds basic support for binding SCSI and SATA devices to ACPI
> device handles. At the moment this is limited to hosts, and in practice
> it's probably limited to SATA ones (ACPI doesn't spec how SCSI devices
> should appear in the DSDT, so I'm guessing that in general they don't).
> Given a host, you can DEVICE_ACPI_HANDLE(dev) it to get the handle to
> the ACPI device - this should be handy for implementing suspend
> functions, since the methods should be in a standard location underneath
> this.

[snip]

Thanks,
---