a question: handling tasks

Hi,

I'm trying to develop an application through traditional c
language, which is gonna run as a  single instance within the system.
Been looking on the internet for singleton (which seems to stand for OO
programming languages, single instance appl, etc.), and also seen
howtos and papers talking about user and kernel modes.

Maybe the right
solution would be to use sempahores and threads, but I get confused
because almost all the doc on this is written for solaris which hasn't
got the same API as pthreads.

The thing is that, in case of the user
trying to execute another instance of the appl. the already running one
could catch the first argument used to call the second instance and
pass it through a function.

I know this is not the right place for
asking this, been looking for weeks, and I haven't found any document
on the internet on how to do somehting like this with linux, and for
sure any of you could bring some light into this.

Kind Regards,