Re: uart_match_port() question

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 4:13 pm, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> ...  Part of the problem here is for example PIO. There is no such
> thing as PIO on a PowerPC, it's purely a PCI abstraction, thus inX/outX
> will only work once the PCI host briges have been discovered and their
> IO space mapped (setup_arch() time, but I definitely want my early
> console earlier).

ia64 has a similar problem, but it's a bit easier because firmware
configures and tells us about the legacy (0-64K) I/O port space.
So we do have to look up the MMIO base where those I/O ports get
mapped, but that's basically the first thing in setup_arch().  We
don't do much before that, so it hasn't been worthwhile to make
the console work earlier.