Re: post-2.6.14 USB change breaks sparc64 boot

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:40:53AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> > From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email protected]>
> > Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:46:20 +0000 (GMT)

> > >  This might actually want to be split to disable legacy stuff as soon as
> > > possible to prevent a flood of interrupts, sending SMIs and what not else.
> > > That just requires poking at the PCI config space.  Whatever's the rest
> > > could be done later.  I guess hot-plugged USB host controllers are not
> > > configured for legacy support, so the early bits should not matter for
> > > them.
> >
> > Would anyone mind if I pushed to Linus the following fix, at
> > least for now?  Thanks.
>
> No objection from me, if this fixes your machines.

It's okay with me -- I think.  The real requirement is that this code
needs to run before any devices that share an IRQ with a USB controller
can have their IRQ handler registered.  That may not always be possible,
but we should come as close as we can.

Hot-plugged controllers don't matter, because this code only needs to
handle hardware that the BIOS may have initialized.

Alan Stern