Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:24:47PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>   ahh, *sigh*, i remember the days.
>
>   in 1989 i looked in /tmp on our sunos 4.1.3 server at
>   imperial, which was running a bit slow, went "eek, that's
>   a lot of files in /tmp" and did am rm -fr /tmp.

Why would /tmp allow you to delete files there you didn't own unless you
were root?  Why would someone with root blindly delete things they
didn't know what were?

>   a few minutes later the sysadmins quite literally stormed in.

And promptly removed root access from the person that wasn't qualified
to have it in the first place? :)

>   apparently the printer queue temp files were stored in /tmp and 100
>   third year students were all trying to print out their course-work,
>   last minute.

And why would the printer queue use /tmp in the first place?

>   oops.
>
>   yes, imperial college third year theory of computing students of
>   1987-1990, it was me.

Did they ever let you have root again?

Len Sorensen