Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:32:35PM -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:12:38 EDT, Horst von Brand said:
>
> > >                                                                     some
> > >  operating system primitives, such as message passing (based on a
> > >  derivative by thompson of the "alice" project from plessey, imperial and
> > >  manchester university in the mid-80s), hardware cache line lookups
> > >  (which means instead of linked list searching, the hardware does it for
> > >  you in a single cycle), stuff like that.
> >
> > Single CPU cycle for searching data in memory? Impossible.
>
> Well... if it was content-addressable RAM similar to what's already used for
> the hardware TLB's and the like - just that it's one thing to make a 32 or 256
> location content-addressable RAM, and totally another to have multiple megabytes
> of the stuff. :)

 aspex microelectronics 4096 2-bit massively parallel SIMD
 processor (does 1 terabit-ops / sec @ 250mhz which sounds a
 lot until you try to do FPU emulation on it).

 each 2-bit processor has 256 bits of content-addressable memory,
 which can be 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit addressed (to make 4096 parallel
 memory searches - in a single cycle).

 absolutely friggin blindingly fast for certain issues (video
 processing, certain kinds of audio processing - e.g. FFTs,
 XML and HTTP parsing), and pissed all over for others such
 as doing floating point arithmetic.

 but anyway: that's a side issue.  thanks for reminding me about CAM,
 valdis.

 l.