Re: 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 - ext3 wedging up

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 04:46:19PM -0500, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 15:59 -0500, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> I'd guess that it's spinning in balance_dirty_pages.
> /proc/<pid>/future_dirty is 25650 for fsx.  It appears that
> nr_reclaimable is not going to zero for some reason.

Even if nr_reclaimable isn't going to zero, eventually the loop should
break out because pages_written must increase.

So this make me think it might be the nr_unstable that destabilizes it,
and whatever it is, it is a bug in mainline as well, except it was well
hidden until now, because the dirty levels never approached zero during
heavy write-IO like it can happen with this feature enabled.

Basically whatever we account as "reclaimable" must be _written_out_ and
accounted as well in the "pages_written" otherwise it'll just hang.
If there's a problem, it shall be a longstanding one.

Can you try with this new patch that stops accounting "unstable" as
"reclaimable". It should be possible to flush the dirty pages to disk so
"nr_dirty" should be safe because they should always increase the
"pages_written". I'm not sure if this fixes it, but this at least rule
out the nfs from the equation (perhaps nfs will never be accounted as
"pages_written" and that would be a possible explanation of the infinite
loop).

This new update also makes sure to never account rewrites (except for
reiserfs where it's more difficult to change the code for this).

I tried with fsx (no params) but I couldn't reproduce any problem yet,
but I've no nfs workload involved in my test box.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.14-rc1/per-task-predictive-write-throttling-4

thanks for the help!